Global Harmonized System
With all the talk about GHS compliance you may have questions and concerns. Gem State Paper
& Supply is your source for compliance training, resources and support.
GHS - WHAT IS IT?
Globally Harmonized System (GHS) is an international approach to hazard communication, providing criteria for classification of chemical hazards, and a single universal approach to label elements and safety data sheets.
- Hazard classification: Provides specific criteria for classification of health and physical hazards, as well as classification of mixtures.
- Labels: Chemical manufacturers and importers will be required to provide a label that includes a harmonized signal word, pictogram, and hazard statement for each hazard class and category. Precautionary statements must also be provided.
- Safety Data Sheets: Will now have a specified 16-section format.
- Information and training: Employers are required to train workers by December 1, 2013 on the new labels elements and safety data sheets format to facilitate recognition and understanding
WHAT DOES IT MEAN?
OSHA's Hazard Communication Standard (HAZCOM) specifies that employers must provide the following five elements in their workplace for their employees:
- Materials Inventory - A list of hazardous materials in the work area
- Safety Data Sheets - Detailed description of hazardous materials
- Labeling - Hazardous materials labeled for potential hazards
- Training - All employees to be trained on above and work safety
- Written Program - Must be in place covering all of the above
Call us to learn more about GHS training at 208-733-6081 or 1-800-727-2737.